This is a phenomenon that appears in the majority of constructions. It appears because of the loose “wedging” of masonry bricks with the load bearing structure or because of the shrinkage of brick joints and lintels mainly due to the great speed in completing the works.
The absence of adequate masonry binding with the load bearing structure may cause problems to the masonry’s stability and strengths.
To repair the problem we can use the following materials:
RP 4000 RAPID
Fast-setting repairing mortar
Rough cast plaster
Fast-setting one-coat repairing plaster
Liquid admixture for mortars
PLASTER REINFORCEMENT FIBERGLASS MESH
Blue fiberglass mesh 90g/m2 for enhancing plasters
1. crack repair
- Remove the plasters along the length of the crack at a 30-40cm width (15-20cm on each side of the crack).
- Carefully break the bricks located at the disconnected masonry points , in order to broaden these segments, and repair them effectively.
- The area must be diligently cleaned with water and air and the application area must be dampened.
- Apply the fast-setting repairing RP 4000 RAPID as deep as possible in the disconnected segment. To prepare the material, mix the bag’s material with clear water at a WATER:MORTAR = 1:5 ratio. Apply with a trowel. Do not prepare large quantities of material due to its short workability time. After applying the material let it harden completely for 2-3 days.
2. plaster repair
- Diligently clean the substrate from dust and unstable remnants and dampen the substrate thoroughly.
- Apply the SP 20 rough cast plaster with the aim of creating a uniform, strong substrate for our plaster. To prepare the material dilute FINO-PLAST with water at a ratio of WATER:FINO-PLAST = 1:3 and then add the SP 20 at a LIQUID:SP20 = 1:4 ratio. Apply with a trowel or plastering machine. Before the SP 20 layer is dry, apply a strip of the special plaster reinforcement fiberglass mesh, at a width equal to the width of the repair.
- After that the SP 20 layer hardens completely, apply the fast-setting one-coat RP 3000 plaster. The plaster is prepared by mixing water at a WATER: RP 3000 = 1:4 ratio. You may enhance the plaster layer with the liquid FINO-PLAST admixture by adding to the mixing water at 1:5 ratio. During the application of RP 3000 the recommended application thickness is 2cm per layer. In case thicker application is required, apply the plaster in successive layers (each next layer must be applied after the previous one is dry) making sure that you install a strip of fiberglass mesh between the layers.